Reshaping culture to address the needs of multiple generations
The client is one of the top five airports in the US, handling over 65 million customers per year. It has the largest domestic network of any airport in the country with flights to nearly 200 US destinations.
Two-thirds of the company’s workforce was eligible for retirement within the coming five years. As workloads grew, it was becoming apparent they needed to reshape how generations must work together to deliver services efficiently as a team. The airport’s CFO approached SBE to change the Finance Division’s culture. The overarching goal for the division was to be known for its collaboration, continuous improvement, shared accountability, and service mindset.
We staffed two Culture Development and Change Management consultants to design a structured approach that included:
- Working with the CFO to define the characteristics of the future culture so that it could be measured, rewarded, and communicated
- Conducting interviews with leaders to capture inter-team dynamics and identify potential roadblocks
- Gaining input from Finance employees at all levels through focus groups and customized employee surveys
- Working with the CFO to prioritize recommendations based upon a gap analysis
- Devising creative ways to motivate employees despite the client’s limited financial tools to incentivize behavioral change
- Creating a roadmap to follow and behavioral hiring criteria for the next generation of employees
The CFO and division leaders were thrilled with the results after only six weeks. Regarding our partnership, the company’s CFO stated: “[Your] consultants really listened and didn’t come in with a pre-defined solution. You helped create a safe environment where employees could provide open and honest input that resulted in leadership recognizing its role in shaping culture. This work exceeded my expectations, and the entire team is excited to make the changes that will result in a more healthy and productive work environment.”